Wapin Bridge

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 16:29:08 -0500

The system is pretty simple and straight forward. I don't see what everyone's
objections are. Why is a person or institution not suppose to benefit
financially
from an idea or product. Do you have something against Capitalism?

It is easy to copy, but the patent laws could get you into trouble if
discovered.

Perhaps one reason for 'getting with the program' is that they want to
maintain
a standard/procedure and a guarantee of your compliance.

Don't make a big deal about it. Ask for the application, sign and return it,
view the literature and decide if you wish to pursue it. No money spent
except for postage. Then if you install the system, you send them a minimal
royalty. It a no-brainer.

I believe it's not paid until completion (customer) or sale of the piano,
so someone other than you pays the royalty.

If your biggest objection is just the royalty, then you're just being cheap.
Someone put time and energy into this product and would like to reap
the benefits. I have no problem with paying someone their due.

If it were your idea, would you just give it away? I think not.

Jon Page

At 09:40 PM 02/15/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Exactly my point... in the end everything Wapin is trying to protect for its
own
>profit will come out.. and if its really worthwhile... there will be the
>inevitable  copies, variations etc etc ad absurdum. Better to compete on the
>level of quality, workmanship, support and all these positives. That road can
be
>started on right away by loosening up on enough detail so that interested
techs
>(and there are many) are not scared away by this particular combination of
>expense and prior secrecy. Say what you like... my opinion is Wapin does
>themselves no favour by not offering a reasonalby complete technical
>explaination.
>
>Be that as it may.. the patent office is open for viewing and I personally am
>going to download a copy of whatever I find on Wapin and figure it out on my
>own.
>
>ANRPiano@AOL.COM wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 2/14/00 7:13:05 PM Central Standard Time,
>> bake@spa.att.ne.jp writes:
>>
>> << It is very expensive to apply for,
>>  aquire, and maintain a patent and that cost is reflected in the cost of an
>>  installation license fee ($325 BTW). >>
>>
>> Yes, but, I would be willing to install the Wapin in all the pianos I
>> rebuild, but not at $325 per installation.  IMHO I would think it would be
>> advantageous to the Wapin folks if their technology became the standard for
>> all pianos instead of rarely used.  Look no further than the PC and the
MAC.
>> It is simple economics instead of receiving a couple thousand from my shop
>> each year for two dozen installations they will receive $0.
>>
>> But that is their concern, not mine.
>>
>> Andrew Remillard
>
>--
>Richard Brekne