Wapin Bridge

Roy Peters roy.peters@mindspring.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 01:23:43 -0500

Brian Trout wrote:

> I'm with you on this one, Ron.  In almost every discussion I've had with
> another tech about the Wapin system, we've always come to the same spot...
> true comparability.

Brian.

You are right. It is a difficult thing to objectively pinpoint just what
difference there is.  I started to become convinced simply because I heard
several  pianos with Wapin installed ( by virtue of the fact that I live in
Cincinnati), and they all sounded better than average.   The first piano was the
1929 Steinway D at the Conservatory at UC.  It sounded great, but I wasn't
really sure that it sounded better than any other well prepped D with a new
board.   It took hearing probably a half dozen pianos with Wapin before I
started to believe that  Wapin made a difference.  To date I have heard several
more, maybe 10 total.  All have been very nice sounding pianos.   I realize that
this is a small statistical sampling, but it is my experience and what I have to
go on.

There have been other occurances which have influenced  my thinking.  These have
been  instances where people commented positively on a piano, without any
knowledge of Wapin whatsoever.  One  instance involved a couple of people
commenting that a particular grand was the best of that model that they had ever
heard.  I went over to take a look, and it had a Wapin bridge.  These people had
no idea what Wapin was, even after I pointed it out.

Is this proof?  No.  I simply thought that it was promising enough to go through
the training and to try one.   I was happy with the results.

Roy Peters