Steinway square

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:45:07 -0200

David, John, et al.

We just bought an 1879 S&S square for $400; apparently it had been in the same
house since it was new, and it does seem untouched by unsympathetic hands ;).
Some time ago, I was referred a cosmetic repair on an 1889 (!) S&S square, with
brushed-on urethane finish, plastic keytops, structurally unsound and difficult
to tune, bought by the current owner for $10,000.

I thought $400 was high, and I prefer not to work on the generic US single
actions with all of the smaller, far lovelier '50s and earlier Chickering
squares around. Now if someone had a Pape downstriker, I'd go over $400.

Clark