Gluing sound board cracks back to ribs.

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 07:22:17 -0500

For the most part, I'd say my usual soundboard repairs resemble Ron N.'s as
well.

Something I do, and some of you probably do too, is in the beginning, before
I've started to do any gluing, or screwing, or drilling, I take my fingers
and apply pressure to the soundboard at the edges of the ribs, usually
starting at the cracks and working toward the edges of the board, stressing
the glue joints.  What I'm trying to do, is to break any weak but just
barely holding glue joints between the rib and the board that are likely to
fail in short order.  I figure, now's the time!  (While we're at it, it's
not a bad idea to also check out the glue joint around the edges of the
soundboard.  Sometimes it'll come loose there too.  Like I said, now's the
time.)

FWIW,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA