termination and inharmonicity ?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:27:05 -0600

----------
> From: Richard Brekne <richardb@c2i.net>
> and termination profiles DO have an effect.. and
> the effect does not have to be soooo very large to make an
impact.

> There is a very intersting article published in the Journal of
> Acoustical Society of America (Volume 10 number 3,, Jan 1939) by
John
> Coltman which demonstrates this quite nicely. The article is
short and
> sweet and the jist of it is easy enough to follow. His
observations have
> been confirmed several times since.

In this article did Coltman say termination radius affected ih?

I think this was "challanged" by Schuck and Young in JASA Vol 15
July 1943, or at least they claimed it could be incorporated into a
K in their formula.    "This proportionality to n^2 is of the form
predicted by theory for stiff strings and various boundary
conditions." {foot  note 5-7} {which #6 is Coltman JASA V 10, 1939}
  "provided that the terms independent of mode number {n^2} are
absorbed into v1."

	If "various boundry conditions"  means termination radius  then it
might be interesting to dig up Coltman's article and see exactly
what  he was referring to.  Of the articles into 1963 (I have seen)
of inharmonicity no mention of termination is mentioned. Yes the
statement I quoted does seem to claim a little "wiggle room" so I
wonder why no one has come back with experiemnts on termination
radius? Yet it is an interesting concept but not much we can do
about, as the t radius is not easily changed, and remains a
constant as long as strings in a piano are being measured for
inharmonicity.  ---ric