Steinway square

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:37:15 -0600

----------
> From: Jon Page <jonpage@mediaone.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Steinway square
> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2000 6:51 PM

At 06:10 PM 02/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
<snip>
> Well after all of this chat I should say simply that I've
>never played a square grand and if I did maybe I wouldn't have
exercised my
>finger for the past 3 minutes :-))))  as usual I'm
>
>Michael in Orlando

So I take it that you have not worked on one as well.

Lying prostrate across the strings to tune, praying that a string
does not
break
or an action part; ending up with a fatigued back . . .

There is a reason these instrument fell into disfavor.

The last two I encountered have been turned into work tables.
And good ones at that.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician

You forgot to mention the two  headed tuning hammer that is needed
for the "oblong pins" and constantly turning it over and over to
find  its  right position.  Or clothes catching on the key tops and
ripping them off when leaning in to tune.  ---ric