termination and inharmonicity ?

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:19:32 -0600

----------
> From: Joe & Penny Goss <imatunr@primenet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: termination and inharmonicity ?
> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2000 1:05 PM
>
> Radius Ric,
> Does this hold true for bass strings as well? Or how  does one
change the
> inharmonicity of a bass string?
> On the level
> Joe Goss

Put on a new one and see how it tunes.  You do have a bass string
winder?  Just keep the core wire under the elasticity limit.
According to McFerrin (looking at the formula) the higher the
tension the less the inharmonicity. So why would Ih be higher at
lower tensions? Also the longer the string the less Ih.  Since this
varies as the inverse of L^4 (L to the fourth power!!)  I would
think length is the most determining factor.   I wouldn't be
surprised if Ih varied as a function of tension away from
elasticity limit.  After a certain tension it doesn't change as
much, but toward elasticity limit it changes more.
It would be interesting to see Ih experiments conducted on solid
state oscilliscopes.  There probably have been, I am not close to a
university with scientific periodicals.  ---ric .