termination and inharmonicity ?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:49:22 +0100

Richard Moody wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Richard Brekne >
> >
> > The sharper and thiner the front termination point the lower the
> inharmonicity,
> > and the rounder and wider the termination point the more. This
> due to the fact
> > that the thin and sharp allow for more flexing about the
> termination point, with
> > more bending attributed to the wide and round...
>
> As long as the wire wasn't yanked up to "level" it,  thereby
> destroying the elastic curve around the "termination point".  Easy
> to "imagine" the inharmonicity being screwed up if that happened.
> So whether it (wire) "flexes" more on "the thin and
> sharp",(termination)  or "bends" more with the "wide and round I don't
> see how this affects inharmonicity.

This is already established knowledge.. Conklin wrote about it and so
did Askenfelt, and I have seen this mentioned elsewhere.. what hasnt
been looked at is the possibility of useing these facts in the fashion I
mention above... grin.. more then likely for some good reason or
another... still.. in principle it should be able to be exploited to
"pre-stretch" the scale. Just how nice this would end up sounding
(assuming you could reach some ideal) is an open question.

> Experiments could be done.  So far I haven't seen inharmonicity
> formulas that consider termination

Oh they are out there...but the math is pretty heavy and as far as I
know they are not directly employed when figureing inharmonicity as it
relates to calculation of scales.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.