Pianolac vs Enduro or ?

Richard Anderson tknostf@foxvalley.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:59:42 -0600

One finisher I know advocates rubbing with steel wool rather than sanding
before finishing. He believes that sanding leaves a sharp top edge on the
pore which leads to the problem described below. Using steel wool breakes
the edge of the pore allowing the finish to flow into the pore. Of course,
he's not using water base so he can do that.

Is anyone just filling with finish out there?

--
Richard Anderson
Anderson Piano Service
mailto:tknostf@foxvalley.net
http://users.FoxValley.net/~tknostf/

From: Jon Page <jonpage@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 14:35:31 -0500
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Pianolac vs Enduro or ?

PianoLac, The Sealer has components which fill the pores.
Arthur has the proper terminology for their function.

One of them is a super wetting agent which loosens the tension within the
material.
You have noticed that as you spray an open pore finish, the more coats you
put on,
the bigger the pores get. This is caused by the tension within the material
(sort of
like a meniscus). The wetting agent allows the material to flow deeper into
the pores
drawing it in; where before it developed surface tension at the edge of the
pore.
Jokingly I said the molecules have a tendency to lock arms and prevent each
other
from falling into the precipice but the wetting agent has them acting like
lemmings.