A Glut of Old Uprights

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 05:26:38 -0800

Tom Cole wrote:
>It occurred to me that this is pretty much a moot point in the
>Northeast. I see a lot of more-than-70-year-old uprights with perfect
>pin blocks and/or uncracked soundboards and bridges so this pertains
>more to the west coast or similar environs.

I spent Friday resuscitating one of these. Two hours' driving to a
remote part of the coast range in Oregon. In spite of the pouring
rain, it was a _gorgeous_ drive. If you feel like seeing pretty country
on a west coast trip sometime, visit Triangle Lake in Oregon.

After a day of cleaning and delegating cleaning, fixing 6 broken butt
plates, light tuning, being fed lunch, playing with the cat,
demonstrating how a filthy, rough piano case can be rubbed out
with fine steel wool wet with furniture polish, and removing a loose
electrical switch which was leaning against the rear of the soundboard,
plus giving instructions and hardware for rebuilding the music desk
hangers and replacing the kickboard spring, the piano had sprung
back to life.

Great joy all round. I love these old west coast pianos. No cracks,
pins fine, bridges okay, tone quite good.

My customer remarked, as I was getting ready to leave, that I had a
wonderful way of making a living.

Susan