Gluing sound board cracks back to ribs.

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 07:28:04 -0600

Richard,

You wrote:
<<On p. 62 is a "soundboard repair clamp".  (wire, locking nut and wingnut)
But this looks like one must have access to both sides of the soundboard.
Is this correct?>>

While I have not yet done this on my own, I assisted with a mentor using
these clamps. They are very nice. You can drill the necessary hole using a
piece of piano wire chucked into a drill. The wire needs to have a sharp
point on the end to get it started. You will then have a hole which is just
right for the soundboard repair clamp. If you wish, you can plug the hole
with a toothpick after finishing the repair. One neat thing about using
piano wire to drill the hole is that you can bend the wire up to 90 degrees
or so if you are working next to a brace that would not have the clearance
for the body of the drill.

Some access to both sides would indeed by necessary, as it is a clamp. Is
the rib separation in a place that is not very accessible from the inside?

Hope this helps.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS