Gluing sound board cracks back to ribs.

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:24:48 +0100

Hi Richard

I just got done with one of these jobs in December.. I wrote a bit about it on
the list. This puppy had a really nasty sound board curl. Someone had tried
earlier to "fix" the soundboard with screws and there were over a hundred and
fifty wood screws trying to hold the panel onto the ribs.. needless to say
they failed misserably.

But what I did was simply remove the screws.. force the panel out into severe
crown, bore 6mm holes deep into the ribs where the screws had been and dowl
these. As far as the curl was concerened.. I bored 8mm holes right on thru the
ribs and worked as much wood glue into the space between the ribs and pannels,
then ran a bolt through a 6 inch or so long piece of  2X4-- through the panel
and rib and cinched the panel flat. This caused another crack in the panel
which i shimmed up along with the rest.

This was a mercy job so neither I or the customer was too worried about the
chance for success, but as it turned out the piano sounds decent enough.
Suprisingly so actually, tho it definatly has seen better days.

A board so badly curled should be replaced ideally,,, but if all you need out
of it is a solid panel and a pianer that can be tuned and played on without
much need for super quality sound well... what the heck.. Not the kinda job I
do for  money for tho..

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.