Restore 1900 Stieff Upright?

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 21:39:24 -0500

I've restored Stieff Grands.  Wonderful pianos.  My understanding is that
they were more expensive than Steinways in their day.  Built like a
battleship!!  Very, very heavy, big tone,

If any weaknesses, it's in their glues.  The ivories are the first to
fall off, then the veneers come loose, then  . . . . .  And their
pinblocks up here in the Northeast are failing frequently.

Also, most Stieff uprights have a brass rail action with a special soft
pedal compensation device. . . I've never seen that device and its type
in any parts sources.  But I haven't seen all parts sources.  Some
Stieffs have Sustenuto pedals, the middle pedal that does what only
better grands do.

Years ago a moving company in this area collected Stieff pianos until
they got a big truck load, then took them all back to Baltimore (where
they were made) to somebody who wanted them.  They got good money for
their work.

I would weigh carefully the job.  I don't think you'll ever get the touch
that is available in a new well built instrument.  And a poor touch will
always limit the skill level you can achieve at the keys.  Only the
fussiest and most expensive rebuilders will get the right touch, and they
must have an unlimited purse to draw on or the job may be short changed.
This is a sticky wicket.

Also, there have been some advances in action design that make the better
new instruments faster,more sensitive, and more likely to hold their
regulation.

Proceed with caution.

Roger C. Hayden, RPT
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!