Restringing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:39:03 -0500

Hi Martin,

I would normally use a fine cut metal file.  The cast iron isn't really that
hard, and it won't likely take much filing.  I've never tried to do it to a
plate that was still in the piano.  It might be a little harder, but
certainly not impossible.

Are you planning to take the plate out of the piano and give it a fresh coat
of paint?  If you are, that would be the perfect opportunity to turn the
little fellow over and check the capo bar out up close and personal.  If
you're not taking it out, it will be a little awkward, and you might find a
mirror to be quite helpful.

Normally, I don't like to take off any more metal than I need to.  My
objective is a nice smooth termination point, which it's not really a point,
but a rounded over place.  How round?  Good question.  I've heard figures
tossed about, but one rebuilder told me something on the order of a 3/16"
size drill bit is about what he likes.  I wouldn't go nuts over it.   You
get the idea.

I hope that'll help.  Perhaps others will have some input as well.

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net