hale hammer

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:33:16 -0600

Terry,

Hale stuff is still available thru Apsco. I use a 5 degree head with a
number 2 tip for both grands and verticals. On some of the older uprights, I
use another lever with longer 5 degree head. I would get a new shaft while
you are ordering. The more pianos you tune, the more worn the collet
becomes. You might have to get a new lever--it depends on how much play you
can put up with.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of pianolover@worldspy.net
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 1:31 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: hale hammer

I noticed earlier today, when tuning the Yamaha Grand, that the tip (#2) on
my Hale hammer was really too short for tuning the Grands, especially up in
the high treble area. In addition to getting a longer tip,(which will give
me more clearance) I want to buy another head (5 degree), and put them
together for quick changes. If A hale tip and head are not available, can
anyone suggest what will fit the shaft of my Hale hammer? The head and tip I
currently have (#2, and head is 10 degree) work great on verticles, but I
think the 5 degree head and longer tip would work better on Grands. I guess
I'll have to make a trip up to Pacific Piano for the stuff...anyone know the
address? Thanks.

Btw, I bought the hammer from my mentor, who says the head has not been off
the shaft for ten years..that would explain why it WON'T come off! I soaked
the area with WD40, but it still wont budge..I'll have to try putting it in
a vice. If it's rusted on, maybe i can just buy a new shaft in addition to
the new head & longer tip, and then just have that ready to switch. Any
ideas?

Terry