Ivory Key cleaning and buffing

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:33:54 -0800

Ah! Yes!  Yellow irory!  Now if we could just get those dam elephants to
quit smoking.

Remove the sharps
Prop the keys with a half inch by half inch stick so that the naturals
are not resting on the punchings and are flat and level.
Use a high speed orbital sander with 100 grit paper and cut off the
surface stain.
Brush with industrial strength Hydrogen peroxide  (35%) and set in
bright sun.  Repeat every 20 minutes or so for a day or two. An ultra
violet lamp might work if it's cloudy, but don't get it too close or it
might burn and turn brown.  You may have to pray for a bright sun.
Now resand with ever finer paper until at least 600 grit and then buff
with compound to polish the tops.  This has worked reasonably well for
me most of the time except for a couple of very stubborn key tops.
I hope that helps.

Regards

Carl Meyer  Assoc
Santa Clara, Ca. 408/984-0482