Floor Tunings

Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:08:29 -0600

Ron N.,
At 09:07 02/11/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>>I agree with Ron(?)

Gee, I do too! Who'd a thunk it?

>Well, what I said was meant more for illustrating to a beginning tuner that
>they spend too much time on what matters least. It was intended as a way of
>helping them define a point of diminishing returns at the beginning.

Along that same line, I tell my class that; While the order of progression
in tuning and likely obsession to detail may be temperament, octaves,
unisons: the order in which others will notice out-of-tuneness is unisons,
octaves and _lastly_ temperament.

That
>said, yes, there is a considerable difference in the requirements between
>dealer floor tuning, and concert work.

Amen, brother!

For floor tunings, the customer is rarely listening at what we dote over.
They, if they're interested in more than furniture color/style, want to
hear what the _tone_ is like.  Good unisons are the only way to hear that.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
             Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.