floor tuning job...

Jerry Hunt piano_tunertx@yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:35:38 -0800 (PST)

--- pianolover@worldspy.net wrote:
> Thanks to ALL for your words of wisdom! I am happy
> to report that I just returned from my job interview
> for the Floor tuning position, and I got the JOB!!

<snip>

> Terry Peterson

Terry,
Congratulations! Since we're on the subject, I thought
I'd share an experience I had last night with a floor
tuning. The "subject" was a new Baldwin 660. Most of
the piano was about 5 cents flat.

The tuning was going fine until I got to the very low
bass. I tune low bass initially using single octave
then check 10ths/17ths, P12 and M14. I got to a note
that I couldn't seem to get sounding right. Having
experienced this before, I started a couple of notes
above it playing single note chromatics down to the
offending note. Sure enough, it was a whole step
sharp. Same thing about two notes down. Then I got to
A0. It was a M3 sharp! And I can't tell this without
playing the single note chromatics. I sometimes do the
same thing in high treble.

Before closing, I would like to make a shameless plug.
I have just finished what will be the first of many
readings of the "PTG Tuning Examination Sourcebook".
Whether you're planning on taking the RPT exam or not,
this is an invaluable resource.

Best of luck in your career.

Regards,

Jerry Hunt