screw in damper wires

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:43:07 -0500

Glue the felt on first (hot glue is my preference).

The head can be swivelled upside down to screw in the lifter wire.
(Damper upstop rail - all the way up)
Rotate head and check underlever height, adjust as needed.

Another benefit which Les Smith has pointed out in the past
is that the head can be centered over the unison by it's rotation
on the wire also. If you want to get the details of this system
contact Les, it's right up his alley <lessmith@buffnet.net>

Les needs a little cheering up.

Jon Page

At 02:18 PM 02/10/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I am replacing damper felt on an 1883 Chickering grand.  I am not
>rebuilding/modifying the old system.  This piano has the screw in damper
>wires where the wire actually screws into the damper underlever.  My
>question is, "What is the best way to do this?"
>
>At this point, just thinking it through, I plan to screw in sample dampers,
>adjust for 1/8" follow and put damper felt on after it is screwed into
>position.  Checking with the action and pedals that everything is working
>well.  After all of the sample heads (maybe six) are working well, I will
>then screw in the entire set to the height (which will be 1/8" lower than
>the final height after felt is on) then glue the felt on.
>
>Am I forgetting something?  What wisdom has experienced taught you beyond
>not working on these anymore? Thanks for the help in advance!
>

>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>Mandeville, LA
>New Orleans Chapter
>lafargue@iamerica.net