SAT Pitch Raise to Lower Pitch

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 06:51:08 -0600

Terry,

Although it has been a while since I had a piano that was in the shape you
described, it would be much easier just to quick-tune using an FAC tuning.
You can get in the ballpark really quickly by tuning it twice in 30 minutes.

In pitch raising with the SAT, I generally do what David Ilvedson described.
Just do an FAC tuning, but leave the notes sharp; i.e., make the lights
rotate to the right somewhat. However, I usually do aural pitch raises.
Occasionally, I will follow that up with a SAT tuning, and the notes are
then pretty close to the FAC tuning.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 11:16 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: SAT Pitch Raise to Lower Pitch

Thanks John. That is exactly what I do in these situations. It takes alot of
time, especially when the initial piano pitch is all over the place (kinda
kills the whole philosophy of the SAT speeding up pitch raises). In that
case you need to reset to standard pitch ('cause you don't remember the
offset because you have been setting it all over the place), measure the
pitch of your next note, mentally calculate your next target pitch :-(,
reset the offset, pitch raise that note. Like I say, when the piano is all
over the place, I tent to check my offset or pitch raise setting every few
notes. If I am headed to standard pitch, I can do that in the blink of an
eye ;-). But otherwise, is this what I am stuck with :-(?

Terry Farrell