Disklavier Class

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 01:37:28 -0500

Dear List,
    Today was the first day of classes at the Yamaha facility in Buena
Park. What a day it was. Our instructors exhibit only the best and most
knowledgeable professionalism. We have had  a day filled with a great
deal of information. I have been impressed with the knowledge of our
instructors including Bill Brandom, Tom Kaplan and Craig Fairenbacher
(sorry about the spelling Craig) and Terry Nimi from Japan.  Yamaha has
been so very generous to us providing the hotel rooms, breakfast and
lunch, a few new tools for us to keep along with a few manuals outlining
is easy to understand steps how to service the Disklavier instrument.
    I have appreciated the fellowship of fellow techs from Florida,
Seattle, California, Missouri, New Mexico and Rhode Island. We are able
to brainstorm with our instructors in such a way that it is definitely
profitable for everyone involved. We even discovered a way to make
hammer sensor rails easier to adjust!  The day seemed long only when it
was over and I looked back and remembered just how much we covered. I
must say that I encourage everyone who has even the remotest of chances
to attend to sign up and find a way to go.
    I now understand that the  "Little Red School House" and the
"Disklavier Service Seminar" are two completely different seminars. I
don't know why I never figured that out before but I sure hope I get to
come back for the Little Red School house one day. I have always shied
away from any kind of player work especially the pneumatic kind. I've
now come full circle and find that I would actually look forward to
working on any Disklavier.
    I'm also very impressed with the intelligent design that went in to
the Disklavier. There are so many functions in the control of this
seemingly simple instrument. Did anyone get a chance to see that Mark
III at the NAMM show this year? They've mentioned a few things about
them but I don't think they made it back to the facility yet. We may not
get to see them :>(  .
    I'm gonna go get rested now so I will be alive for tomorrow's
onslaught of new information.

Ciao
Greg Newell