samick

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:47:27 EST

In a message dated 2/8/00 11:30:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
drose@dlcwest.com writes:

<< Is your evidence for epoxy being better empirical or have you done a study?
 Water thin CA glue *does* penetrate the end grain on rock maple. Does epoxy
 do this too? Looking for the best way to help clients! Interesting that you
 say the CA can overcome contamination of the pin block. My question is why
 can it do that? I am glad to see you on the list theses days Bill! >>

I don't think I said it was "better", it is just that in certain
applications, one might be more practical than the other.  I would say that
what I know is empirical, based on trial and error and experience.  Both can
work equally well.  It's just that if you are using a large volume of fluid
to soak in and restore the pinblock material, Epoxy costs far less and is far
less harsh.

But in the case of previous contamination, yes, CA is a better choice because
it will combine with whatever is there while I don't think the epoxy can do
as well.  I learned this long ago.  The CA glue that I use is sold by Hobby
Shops primarily for the purpose of repairing model airplanes which have
crashed and fractured.  The fragments can have oil, dirt or fuel
contamination but the CA glue just combines with it.

Similarly, if the piano has oil, dirt, rust, Garfield's, Pin Tite or any
other Pinblock "Restorer", it will readily combine with any and all of that
whereas the Epoxy won't nearly as well.  Those, in my experience are the
differences between the two.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin