SAT III

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 23:24:15 -0700 (MST)

Hi Terry:

The SAT III works fine in any kind of pitch raise. You don't have to
wait for the thing to compute how much to raise, Just hit the tuning
hammer a lick to get it in the ballpark, the autostep will then step
up to the intended note when it hears that it is in the ballpark.

To avoid string breakage when doing half step pitch raises, don't
do a full overshoot, especially in the Bass. Just do a second pitch
raise after pulling everything up to 440 the first pullup. After the
first pullup, the piano will sink to around 18 to 20 cents flat, then
compute the Pitch raise and do the overshoot. You can probably do
these two PRs in about 30 minutes. How many more minutes would it
take if you had Bass strings break?

A cautionary note: Always check to make sure you don't have any
strings which are attempting to climb over their own coils, especially
in the bottom row of tuning pins. If you find some like that, it will
save you time if you loosen them slightly and tilt the coils more in
line with the direction of the string as it approaches the coils and
pull them back up.

Jim Coleman, Sr.