Making the Transition

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:41:44 -0500

My career transition in a nutshell:

Well, I have degrees in Forestry, Geology and a Masters in Hydrogeology. Did
environmental/geological consulting for about 15 years (anything to do with
soil & groundwater contamination) for small engineering-type firms. Went
into business for myself for 5 years beginning in 1993. Failed. No money. I
was desperate for new career - any career. Bought a new piano (with last few
dollars) (for the former pianist wife). With new piano came tuner from
store. After tuning we booked next appointment (at $80/ tuning plus
anticipated pitch raising). Tuner told me "you better schedule now because I
am booked for the next several months - I get 50 calls a day and don't even
bother returning them."

Later that night my little mental calculator got going....... hmmmmmm
$80/piano, this guy takes 45 minutes, maybe 5, 6 pianos a day....plus pitch
raise, etc......hmmmmmm I could live off that. PLUS the attraction of the
romantic aspect of the job. I had been a very serious amateur wooden
sailboat rebuilder for many years. The piano is romantically very similar to
old wooden sailboats - wood, metal, old, smelly, hi-quality (at least some
of them), lots of whatsamajiggets, etc. .... That was on Dec. 16th
(Beethovan's b-day). On Dec. 31, I had the Randy Potter course in my lap. I
went through the whole thing in about 4 months. I started tuning mine and
anyone else's piano I knew for free for a couple months. I started tuning at
a local store, and then started picking up private clients. The rest is
history. Been at it two years now.

Piano stuff is WAY COOLER than what I used to do. I formerly worked for
developers, bankers, attorneys. EVERYONE was concerned about the BIG deal
and nothing else. I had problems succeeding because I thought good science
would be the key to success. NO WAY. My clients did not care how good a job
I did. They only cared about their bottom line (aka get the regulators off
my back!). Piano owners care if you do a good job. Finally, I am in a
profession where if I spent extra time and do an extra good job, the client
sits down at the piano and says....Oh, my, that sounds very nice! Piano
owners are nice people. This is a good career. My days abound with smiles
now (mine and my client's). I made the right change! Piano work is good for
the soul.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida