samick

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:15:39 -0800

Les:

I've never replaced a pin block, but I've repaired many with epoxy.  It
seems that your problem is definitely a split, cracked, separated, or
other self destructed situation.

I don't know the configuration of the sammick, but penetration is hard
to achieve.  CA glue may penetrate end grain but will harden too fast to
get down where you need it, and make further treatment impossible.
Epoxy thinned w/acetone may shrink.  Epo-tek 301 is a very thin epoxy
with a viscosity of only 100cps.  It has a pot life of 45 min in small
quantities and has an overnight cure.  If in fact you could fill every
nook and cranney in this block it should have it's structural integrity
restored. I'd lay the piano on it's back, warm the block well and put as
much epoxy around the pins as possible.  The heat will further thin the
epoxy and thru capillary action hopefully will go deep enough to
solidify the whole mess.  Don't worry that you will epoxy the pins into
the block.
I've always been able to crack the pin loose without breaking it.
EPO-TEK 301 is about 35 dollars a pound.  They are in Billerica, Mass.
Phone 1-617/667-3805.  Another is Resin Formulators in Culver city, Ca.
Phone 1-800/374-3872.  They have an RF3000 resin with RF14 hardener that
is somewhat cheaper but not quite as thin and maybe not as hard.  Mix
ratio is 100/12 by weight.  For the EPO-TEK it is 4/1 by weight.  Have
fun and if you try this I'd like to know how it worked.

Carl Meyer
Santa Clara, Ca.