Rumors, rumors...

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 19:26:27 -0800

Hey folks,

At this time I have no choice but to announce that the merger
between Baldwin and Samick is a rumor.  I have heard several
people on this list in the past mention that this was going to
happen so I know this has been floating out there for some time.
I also made an announcement my self recently that this was going
to happen.  My source seems very credible.  I have also learned
that MY source got the news from a Young Chang rep.  Just exactly
what this means I don't know.

At the NAMM show I made it a point to approach a sales executive
to ask first hand.  The answer was NO, there is no merger of any
kind.  I prodded.  It was denied again that there was ever any
such talk in the past or present.

I will now go out on a limb and tell you something I don't
know.   In spite of what I just said above it seems logical that
if a merger were to happen it would be denied until the last
second for business reasons.  Such reasons include hesitant
retailers who may not want to sign up as a dealership not knowing
the future quality/availability of a product.  Other reasons
could be stock related.  So what am I saying?  The official word
is still NO, but with the knowledge that the rumor has been
floating for some time don't be surprised if it actually
happens.  ALSO, don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Rob Goodale, RPT