stringing supplies

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:27:46 -0800

The formula is "subtract 5 from your measurement and divide
by 2, i.e. .035 = 35 - 5 = 30 divided by 2 = 15, the wire size".

David I.

A micrometer is a measuring tool to measure the thickness of piano wire. This
measurement, which will show up in thousands of an inch, needs to be
transposed to a piano wire size. The formula is complicated, and I am sure
someone will tell it to you. But I just copied the wire thickness, and the
equivalent wire size on a piece of paper, which I keep in my micrometer box.

Wim

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net