glosario pianistico - looooooong

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:35:57 EST

Great work, Paul,

I hope you can get this printed in the Journal.  It might even fit on one
page.  It would be great if PTG kept this info and updated it as needed as an
official list of terms.  Even though I speak Spanish fluently, I have never
yet had a customer who had a home and a piano who could not speak English.
Even when I was in Mexico City, I worked on a lawyer's Steinway.  We did
converse in Spanish but no lawyer worth his salt in Mexico City only speaks
Spanish.

There have been times when it has been useful, however.  When I called ahead
to a customer to say I would be a little early, the person answering only
spoke Spanish.  Often in restaurants, when I go to tune the piano in the
middle of the day when only the kitchen crew is doing all the prep work, if I
need help moving tables and chairs and turning on the lights, it's a little
more congenial to ask politely in Spanish rather than having to use gringo
gestures.

I sure wish I could go on one of those trips to Cuba.  Madison Wisconsin has
a "sister city" relationship with Camaguey, a medium sized city in central
Cuba where one of our civic leaders was born.  He was one of the refugees in
the '60's.  There are regular trips there by the Madison-Camaguey Sister City
Association.  But I have so many other trips I take here and there that I
can't afford to take two weeks off for volunteer work, at least not at this
stage of my career.

I am also interested in seeing a Mexico City Chapter of PTG emerge.  The late
Danny Boone RPT tried hard to bring that about but it just has not happened.
There are a couple of Associate Members there and one RPT who is an
ex-patriot American.  The language barrier as well as the currency exchange
barrier is what prevents it from happening.  A few of them occasionally
travel up to the US for a Convention or Regional seminar.  The first Regional
Seminar was held in Mexico City in 1989.  The opening session was always a
long discussion of Nomenclature.  There were usually 3 or 4 words that people
had for just about everything.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin