Strip Muting/unisons/NZ climate

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 01:09:47 +1300

Hi Bill,

I will give sticker cloth a go and try the whole step technique when I get
some time to play around with it.

I find 6 to 7 pianos plenty and best if in one location to avoid too much
travel.
If doing private tunings and travelling I tend to stick to 4 or 5.

In our climate there isn't the need to pitch adjust the regularly tuned
pianos, by this I mean instruments that get serviced at least each year. I
have almost completed the high school pianos I do yearly and the pitch on
most is within a few cents with the better pianos sometimes at pitch. It's
hard for me to visualise the climate extremes some of you contend with, and
3 or 4 tunings per year with a pitch adjustment each time.
I suppose it is good for business. Perhaps you only need a half or third of
the customers I need to make the same amount.
I went out to a piano a few days ago that I last tuned in 1997 and it was at
A440 and required only a fine tune -mainly unisons etc. This is not quite
the norm but I suppose our climate helps.

We have a fairly humid climate ranging from about 50%RH to 70%RH and
occasional extremes each side. We never see the humidity drop much under
45%RH. The temperature range is even less 8 c to 12 c winter and  18c to 24c
in summer, again with some extremes each side. Quite temperate.
We do see action sticking problems and do alot of repinning action centres
but rarely need to repair soundboards. Virtually no-one here has
airconditioning and few have central heating.

Regards,

Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth NZ