Opinions sought on Bootleg pianos

Robin Stevens pianotun@pirie.mtx.net.au
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:23:54 +1030

I am a Piano Tuner of 40 years experience in South Australia,where we
have a annual rainfall of 12-14 inches and a evaporation level of 12 times
that figure.so any Pianos that come to this area are well and truly put to
the test.
The problem is that with the ever increasing number of S/H Japanese Domestic
Yamaha
& Kawai pianos being bought to this area I can see a great cause for concern
for these High humidity designed instruments.
All of the Pianos drop 30-50 cents pitch in the first year
The majority have very loose tuning pins
Any screw removed from any site in the Piano has at least 25% rust the
length of the screw
The sound quality is not as good as it could be.( sound board loosing its
crown ?)
What I am trying to do is get as many opinions from Piano tuners &
technicians regarding personal experiences they might have had with these
pianos being sold to a area they were not designed for.
On past experiences with any Piano in my area the drying out continues over
the life of the instrument
Looking forward to some replies
Thanks  Robin Stevens