Tuning levers

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 10:37:12 EST

jformsma@dixie-net.com writes:

<< I currently use a Hale extension tuning lever, but was wondering if there
is
 anything else better. Have any of you switched from using a Hale lever to a
 different one? If so, what kind do you now use, why do you like it better,
 etc.? >>

I have used now for over 10 years the Wonderwand made by Charles Heuther RPT,
one of PTG's past Presidents and (I think) Golden Hammer award winners.  It
is distinguished by the ball at the end which fits comfortably in the palm of
your hand.  This keeps your hand more relaxed rather than having to grip the
lever.

I have always used an impact technique to manipulate the hammer having
learned this from Jim Coleman RPT and George Defebaugh RPT over 20 years ago.
 The moment I tried this ball type tuning hammer, it felt comfortable to me
and I have never gone back to the usual lever type since.  It costs about
$80.00.

If you like a particular type of hammer but are intrigued by the ball and
think that you might like to have it occasionally, Mayer Gluzman RPT of
Michigan has designed and sells at quite a reasonable price a ball that will
fit on the end of a standard tuning hammer.  You can put it on and take it
off at will.

My personal opinion of the question about which tuning hammer might be best
is the same as I have for a tuning fork.  Buying an expensive one won't make
you a better tuner.  You can use the cheapest fork available.  Also, a rather
inexpensive tuning hammer will do the job just as well.  There are some
really cheap ones (the gooseneck type and the one sold in some music
paraphernalia catalogs) however, that I would not recommend.  As with many
questions about tools and techniques, you have to find what works best for
you, and what you are most comfortable with personally.

Spending more than $100 for a tuning hammer would make just about as much
difference as spending more than $100 on a watch.  It might look a little
more luxurious and fancy but it won't do the job it is intended for any
better than a more modestly priced item.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin