samick tuning pins

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 05 Feb 2000 13:51:33 -0500

It sounds to me that the pinblock is cracking/delaminating and
needs to be replaced.

As far as the tuning pins go, I get the Japanese pins from APSCO.
To insure 'consistent in diameter', mic them. Place the thinner ones
in the treble and the thicker ones in the bass. A set usually will mic
.002 either side of spec. That can be five different diameters. Getting
them grouped together helps in consistent 'feel'.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 12:18 PM 02/05/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>The church where I do part-time work has an 18 year old Samick vertical
>piano, on which the tuning pins are becoming very loose. It's relatively
>sonsistent throughout the block.  I've never done a "repinning", but did
>replace one of the loose pins with a #4 pin, which has become, over a
>year's time, loose as the others.
>
>I need some help.
>Do I pull the pins and
>       Swab holes with CA glue
>       Swab the holes with epoxy
>       get larger pins (from where. Is it Renner that seems to have pins most
>                       consistent in diameter.)
>       If larger pins, how do I prepare the holes?
>       Some say remove the old pins with electric drill. Others say that such
>will ruin the holes.
>
>I told the folks that,. since I'm going to repin the whole thing, it
>would be wise to replace the bass strings, which are not showing signs of
>deterioration. However, my organist can put a great deal of strength into
>playing, and it seemed to me that it would be wise just to go ahead and
>replace the strings, since I'm taking the piano apart anyhow.
>
>Thanks for any who have time and interest to aid me.
>les bartlett
>houston
>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.