Standard line

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:05:39 -0600

>Is there a "standard line" that a Newbie can use, when he/she is asked the
>inevitable: "so, how long have you been tuning pianos?", "how much
>experience do you have?", or any number of questions that can lead a newbie
>into trouble? Just curious.
>
>Terry Peterson

I've always liked "Long enough to know better" to the first question. That
nearly always nips the next two in the bud. Since the number of hours,
days, weeks, years, or lifetimes that someone has been doing ANYTHING has
so little to do with their qualifications, it's kind of a pointless
question. How long have you been eating lunch? If you are any good at it,
why do you have to keep doing it over every day? Like my old man used to
say, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS. Then
tell them the truth and do them a real nice tuning. They'll appreciate your
being at ease with yourself and your (new) job enough to joke with them, as
much as they will appreciate your honesty and hard work. Then they will get
to hear for themselves what your qualifications are. They'll remember you
too, and recommend you to others.

Always making new friends <G>,

Ron N