Standard Newbie Line

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:54:49 -0500

Terry:

I like just telling the truth. No problem glorifying it as much as possible
(did you go to a good school? - tell 'em what great training you have), but
no fibs or misleading information. I have been tuning in the field for two
years now. I have tuned perhaps 700 pianos so far. I estimate that about 5,
but certainly not more than 10, people have asked me how much experience I
have. We are talking about maybe 1% of calls. Nobody ever asks. In all
honesty it blows me away. I was kinda concerned about it at first also.

Just be careful to not overstep the boundaries of your experience. About a
year ago I got a call from a guy with a Bluthner grand who just moved here
from Washington state. He started asking me all about Bluthner actions and
how they differed from others & about the hi-end regulation work he was used
to. I asked him at what level does he play and about who previously serviced
his piano. He said he was a good concert pianist in college and that Steve
Brady took care of his piano in Washington. ...OK, ...change of
gameplan...:-(.... I gave him the phone numbers of two very good local
technicians that have lots of hi-end action experience. Oh, well. Better
that than to really blow it.

When someone calls me on the phone and asks about appointment/cost/etc., I
immediately start asking them questions about their piano - type, make, how
long since it was last tuned, any other problems with their piano, etc. and
then ask if they wish to make appointment. I don't talk their head off, but
I don't allow dead time for them to ask me 1,000 questions ('cause even 2
years ain't long) about my background - I don't avoid it, but they don't
ask. I hope my clients are not reading this ;-)!

How does that sound? Good luck!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida