1965 Vintage Mason and Hamlin A

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:39:28 EST

Pat, List:

A M&H "A" in the Bay Area, or in parts of southern California, could indeed
get a high price on the retail market.  And the use of Encores or Abels are
M&H's has been influenced by the use of Renner Blues during the previous
ownership - not the same tradition, or one I prefer, but certainly acceptable.

With respect for Frank (who has done a ton more structural work than me),
there is no doubt in my mind that the problematic Aeolian M&H's from the 60's
and 70's can usually still be quite incredible pianos. (I recently regulated
and voiced a model 50 vertical from the period which I would have love to
have owned myself.)  The ones in my care I usually find in very poor
regulation, with plate and cabinet finishes of uneven quality.  These can be
brought up to very decent performance level.  Each one of these pianos has a
typical M&H tone - not excessively bright, but a tone that takes off and
really sustains.   Actions are the biggest problem, and the easiest to fix.
But not all are bad from the start.

To get the M&H tone on the high tension hammer requires at least following
the procedures which Rick Baldassin has taught at many convention classes,
and which Renner USA outlines in their publication on the subject.  The
voicing approach will require extensive shoulder needling for resilience.  My
preference is to start with a hammer in the old M&H tradition.

I agree with Ed that the brighter hammer is often used to make up for a shot
board.  If the piano lived in the Bay Area all its life it should not have
deteriorated very much.  With the information you obtained in the evaluation
(ring time, downbearing and crown measurements) you have probably already
made that assessment.  Your subjective positive assessment of the piano's
tone is very important, too.

It sounds like a pretty fine instrument already.  You haven't said whether
your client has stated a tonal preference.  Are they satisfied, and want that
brighter "Steinway" sound which you have said it has now?

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University