Dampp Chaser or not, that is that question!

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:21:17 +1000

Ron,
Summing up what your have said in relation to temperature, RH and soundboard
moisture:

 at a constant 50% RH
moisture content of the soundboard for various temperatures will be

60 degrees F	9.4%EMC
70 degrees F	9.2%EMC
80 degrees F	8.9%EMC

So for a 20 degree F shift in temperature, there is only a 0.5%EMC change.
Contrast this to a 20% shift in RH (ok I know they are different scales, but
lets just assume both about the same significance) you get a 3.9%EMC change.
Or eight times the amout for temperature.

So in summary, your data says to me that RH range is the important driver of
EMC in line with what common sense would suggest.  Temperature range is by
comparison only a minor factor in influencing EMC.  This would support
selecting either a dry, normal, of wet DC system based solely on the spread
of RH ranges.  The effect of temperature differences between moist
sub-tropical and tropical regions on EMC may be so minor as to not be
important.

John Woodrow.