Fischer Upright

Stephen Powell pianotec@ihug.co.nz
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:23:21 +1300

Greetings List

Piano: Fischer upright player (New York), 1917.  Looking at a rebuild, =
rewhatever.  Two questions:

    1. There are no tuning pin bushings - the pins go through holes in =
the plate with very little clearance between the plate and the pins.  =
What is the usual procedure for restringing an arrangement like this?  I =
figure my options are to either ream the plate and install larger pins =
or, replace sections of pinblock behind the plate and string with the =
original size pins.  Has anyone out there ever reamed a plate to install =
bushings?  I'm curious to opinions on this one.

    2. For the player techs: the action is an Otto Higel model K =
"metalnola".  I have done a number of player rebuilds, but not one of =
these.  I am aware that the die cast valve chambers can suffer from =
warping/cracking.  From the outside, the metal looks to be in amazing =
[good] condition.  Generally, what is the restorability of these =
actions?

Thanks in advance

Stephen Powell RPT
Auckland, New Zealand