Dampp Chaser or not, that is that question!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:17:06 -0500

Tony:

Thanks for responding to my post. I hope I hear from others also. Regarding
hygrometer placement, I have placed it at various locations under the
soundboard, but always on top of one of the beams (at most 1 cm below board)
AND I have actually put the darn thing right on top of and next to (actually
touching) the humidistat. I have placed up to three different hygrometers
under the piano at the same time (the three were compared at stable
conditions and are known to produce similar RH readings) and get the results
I have described.

As far as the Rule of Thumb goes, yes I agree that they are just
generalities, but they should be based in reality. My observations suggest
that a reduction in RH of 1% for each 1 Watt is way off the mark - even in a
vertical (where presumably the system would be at maximum efficiency). My
vertical produced results closer to a 1% RH reduction for every 3 Watts (I
suppose a grand would be even less efficient).

Regarding your question about actual moisture content of the wood: The
various species of spruce commonly used in soundboard construction have
physical properties that fall within a certain limited range. This includes
the typical relationship between moisture content of the wood and the RH of
its atmospheric environment. This relationship will remain constant.
Experimentation has established that RH around 42% produces the most
desireable moisture content for spruce soundboards (what is that MC?).
Because of the known relationship between spruce and atmospheric RH, RH in
the soundboard environment will provide an accurate (although indirect)
indicator of soundboard moisture content.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com