Soundboard panels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 23:23:33 -0600

>I am about to take the plunge and do my first set of soundboards.  I hope to
>avoid a trip to the University of Hard Knocks and was hoping for a little
>help.

Help in the form of opinion may be available, but avoidance of regular
trips to the University are not. Sorry.

>I have found at least four suppliers of panels and am wondering what
>your experiences are with the various sources out there.  Is there really
>that much difference between the different species?

According to my Encyclopedia of Wood, Sitka Spruce has the highest strength
to weight ratio. Whether it is "that much different" depends on how you
design and build the soundboards.

>Do some suppliers dry
>their panels more or less?

Rather a moot point, as long as the supplier isn't assembling them green.
You will season and dry the panel, from whatever the source, to whatever
you require before assembly anyway.

>Are some suppliers more helpful in supplying
>unique panels?

I haven't tried them all, but it's easy enough to request specific panel
thickness, grain angle and density, and see what they say. North Hudson
makes panels to order, and Del makes panels for other rebuilders too. Ask.

> Am I missing anything along these lines?

Almost certainly.

>I know I have asked
>a couple questions which have no "right" answer, I am just looking for
>perspective and input.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Andrew Remillard

If you know what you want, ask for it. If you aren't sure what you want,
I'm afraid there isn't an easy right answer, because you will get all sorts
of conflicting helpful information. For now, you would probably be best
served by trying to duplicate what you are replacing, with a few caveats. I
would recommend machine crowning the ribs, instead of relying on panel
expansion to supply crown to straight ribs, and not diaphragming the panel
in the treble. This will make for a more reliable crown, and better treble
sustain.

Ron N