Dampp Chaser or not, that is that question!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:52:27 -0500

I would like to hear from others about DC dehumidifier system designs &
installations.

I live in Florida where most homes are air-conditioned, and relative
humidities (RH) range from a low of approximately 35% to perhaps 80%. I have
a 5' 10" Boston with the DC unit installed. I have monitored it for months
and it turns on when the RH reaches approximately 68% and turns off when it
reaches about 46%. I just checked it now and the unit is off and the RH is
59% @ the soundboard bottom. Clearly, this is not functioning as the
manufacturer advertises. I have 200W under my piano and when the room is 75%
RH, it is on approximately half the time to maintain the soundboard
environment in the 46% to 68% RH range.

I believe in the philosophy of putting a substantial amount of wattage under
the soundboard to enable lowering the RH to the 40% range under humid
conditions. I have observed that one needs to raise the temperature
approximately two degrees F for every three percent reduction in RH. Thus,
to reduce the RH in the area of a soundboard in a room that is 80 degrees F
and 70% RH, the soundboard area needs to be heated to a temperature of 100
degrees F to reduce the RH to 40%.

>From a previous post (below in its entirety):
>"....today the temp was 33 Celsius and 90% humidity. Now if I
was to install a D-C with 50 watts of heat it would bring the RH in the
piano down to 40% (rule of thumb 'for every watt of heat you remove 1% of
humidity') but that would mean that the heat would remain on constantly and
that in turn may cause considerable damage to the piano...."<

How on earth is a 50W rod going to pull RH down to 40%? Where does such a
rule of thumb come from? The grand installations that I see are usually only
50W. You should be able to put a ridiculous level of wattage under a piano
with no damage because the humidistat will turn it off.

I formerly had a 46" vertical piano that I put a 50W rod in. The rod would
raise the temp about 12 degrees F max for a drop in RH of approximately 18%.
So, if the room was 75% RH, my piano interior was about 58% RH. Better that
room RH, but my clients are not getting what they are paying for and think
they are getting.

I would like to know where the data used in the graphs in the DC brochure
comes from. That graph has room air going up to 95% RH and the piano
interior staying below 45% RH. That means that the piano interior would have
to be heated to a temperature about 33 degrees F above the room temp. How
many watts is required to KEEP the piano at say about 115 degrees F for the
summer?

What are others' thoughts on this. I would really like to hear from others
how many watts they put under a mid-sized grand, and if anyone else has
monitored the system's effectiveness, i.e. what are the turn-on RH and the
turn-off RH, and what percent of the time is the system energized.

Thanks, I feel better now.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida