Pin Block Tightner

Brian Holden bholden@wave.co.nz
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 17:48:13 +1300

OK here we go - I'll answer each of your questions as you have asked them.
l'm not sure if all the brands are  the same, but I would imagine they would
all have the same effect, which I believe is to swell the wood.  Many techs
use CA glue.   I can only speak for Pacpin (if you can still get it) because
that is the only one I have used and yes, the instructions are on the
bottle.  The solution is clear and I use it straight, applying it with a
syringe.  If I were treating a Grand, I would certainly remove the action
and cover the keybed.  No, as far as I know it does not "harm" the pinblock
as such, BUT, I would not use it on a new piano - as it shouldn't need doing
anyway and fitting a larger size set of pins on any piano is usually
regarded as being a better but more expensive option.

If in doubt, try treating half a dozen bad bushings and see how that goes.
I treated a piano recently using two applications three days apart, and
stood it back up a couple of days later, then tuned it - beautiful!  I
suppose the solution would affect how it was initially tuned, but I don't
let that bother me.

You should never regard tapping in the pins as an option.  It usually does
work for a while, but the practice is a very naughty one indeed.  I would
only do this on a very old piano if its next move was to be put out to
pasture.  I did just that on an old beast this morning - the pin block was
cracked.  The piano would have laughed at me if I'd got out my Pacpin!

Please remember that this is my view only and other technicians wouldn't
have pin tightener in or near their workshop.  I have also sent a copy of
this to the Forum - hopefully I shouldn't have to put my flame suit on!

As with all major piano repairs, go confidently but carefully my son.

Good luck

Brian Holden