Refinishing Problem

Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:36:18 -0500

Hi Terry -

Yes, I use Oxford PSL and really like it.  As a rule, making coats "as
thick as you can make them" is not a good overall policy, in my
experience, either with water-based OR solvent-based material.  You are
just begging for orange peel and 'soft belly', and other unmentionables.

Yes, I am still using the Accuspray conversion gun.  I am not really
familiar with your gun, although I have heard of it and am sure it is
fine.  Try a nozzle/cap configuration that gives you better atomization,
or thin the material 5% with water and spray thinner coats, or ideally
both.  There is a flow-out additive/retarder that Target Coatings makes
that is compatible with the PSL, something like SA5, that you may want to
try if you continue to have problems.  I have not found the need to use
it, but it may be appropriate in your situation.

You may be spraying too far from the surface, too.  Also, the temperature
and humidity play a role here, as well.  Sounds a bit like voodoo magic,
eh?  Make sure Saturn is aligned with Uranus and there is a total eclipse
of one of Jupiter's moons!  (kidding, of course...)  Basically, if your
temp is in the 70's, humidity 45-65%, and you spray thinner coats of
thinned material from about 6-8 inches from the surface, you should have
very good results.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com