moisture in wool or wood.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:20:00 -0500

"When a wood flange swells with high humidity the action center hole =
swells also, more so with the grain than across the grain.  Think of it =
this way: when you have a hole in a normal (non-laminated) piece of =
wood, the hole behaves like the plug of wood which was removed.  With a =
large humidity increase, action center holes in the wood get slightly =
oval if they were drilled when the wood was very dry."

I have heard/read this many times, so I suppose it is true. But, =
intuitively, it makes no sense to me. If you drill a hole in a piece of =
wood and expose it to high humidity, the wood will swell - and swell =
much more across the grain (perpendicular to the grain direction) than =
with the grain. So why doesn't the hole tend to close a bit - on the two =
sides of the whole where the tangents are parallel to the wood grain.

If I take a board, drill a half-inch diameter hole through it, push a =
half-inch diameter rod through it (snug fit), and place the board in =
water or high humidity, I should think the rod would be tight in the =
wood - maybe even crack it (meaning of course that the hole gets smaller =
with increasing humidity). And if dried in a kiln or real low humidity =
environment, wouldn't the rod just fall out? I suppose I need to get a =
board and rod, but typing is easier - unless of course you don't agree =
with me! :-)  Maybe then I'll have to do the field test.

Where is the flaw in my reasoning? (I hope this post doesn't sound =
snotty - I'm trying to understand - you see, you can't see the =
inquisitive look on my face and the absence of a know-it-all look!)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com