Larger piano? was Re: Decibel Levels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:26:45 -0600

> Del
>
> Are you saying that a larger piano (lets say 7') in a church will not
> necessarily produce a larger sound than a smaller piano, (lets say 5')?

Acoustically, the size of the piano isn't necessarily a direct consequence of
it's length. A "small" piano needn't necessarily sound small, any more than a
"large" piano must sound large. The fact that you've heard many more large
pianos sound small than you've heard small pianos sound large should somewhat
support this viewpoint. Oh, sorry, I'm not remotely Del, but I couldn't help
myself.

> One problems we have in this industry is that a small piano is being used in
> a large sanctuary, where the piano player pounds the daylights out of the
> keys, in order to be heard. (which results in broken strings) What I have
> been trying to convince some churches is that they need a larger piano to
> produce more volume, so that the piano player doesn't have to pound so hard.
> But now, from what you say, a larger piano will not help. Or am I missing
> something?
>
> Wim

Yes, and no. With what's out there in the realm of commercial availability,
larger would be better by the criteria you're dealing with. From a standpoint
of what's possible, it's not necessarily so. It depends on whether you're
buying or designing pianos.

Ron N