When to do it-Now change the name ?

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:45:24 +0930

Hi Patrick

You wrote

> By "not wool felt" do you mean to say is a synthetic, or do you mean
> it is *woven* wool felt, as opposed to merely *felted* wool.
> If it is synthetic, do you know what kind?

Yes I mean synthetic felt, don't know what it is made from. The other
advantage of this synthetic felt is that it doesn't get eaten out by bugs as
does the balance and front touch felts.

> I'm a bit surprised to see an Australian dissing wool products!!

Natural products are better than their synthetic counterpart in most
instances but we would have to be stupid to say they the best all the time.

"I may be dumb but I am not stupid"  I hope

> Perhaps some of us are more sensitive to Yamaha uprights' lost motion
> variation, due to the fact that Yamaha uprights are very sensitive to
> having it properly adjusted. A tolerable amount of lost motion in an
> older American full upright would cause "burbling hammers" in a
> Yamaha (at least in my experience).

Maybe this should be a new thread so here goes.

I hope that "burbling hammers" means "double hitting" of the hammer on
string caused by the hammer not going into check because the jack has not
move far enough away from the hammer butt.?

OK, Two things, you compare old American uprights against newish Yamahas so
the first major difference between to two actions is the hammer return
springs.

The return spring used in the older American pianos exerts a by far greater
pressure on the hammer butt than does the return spring as used in the
Yamaha.

Because of the greater pressure on the hammer butt of the American action,
it is going to overcome the jacks spring pressure and cause the jack to move
back allowing for the hammer to go into check.

The other major difference is that the older American piano most likely has
a greater keydip thus more aftertouch than the newer Yamaha.

To me Yamahas are very skinny in that department, seems like not enough
aftertouch.  Have noticed that when the hammer return cord breaks on the
Yamaha, the note often "blubbers" (another one" onto the string) Action
geometry though is a tough subject, I generally ignore the manufacturers
specs and go by feel.

What I do like about Del's posts are that they are more specific and thus
more believable, I seem to leave some things to be assumed as common
knowledge and have not investigated these things to the same extent or
something like that.

> PS Our nomenclature isn't very impressive, is it? "Lost motion" --
> what's the other extreme -- "found motion"? "Burbling" or "bubbling
> hammers" don't sound right either

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Happy New Year,

Tony Caught ICPTG