Return Springs on a Baldwin 243

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:27:14 -0500

Weighing an upright key is problematic because OF the
springs, not despite them.

The weight figures you quoted are still a bit in the low
region still.  I would go for closer to 50 grams down weight
with the dampers off, banging on the balance rail with your
fist to break the static friction and adjust the weight
until the key moves down in the time it takes to take a
leisurely step while walking.  It should go down to the
point of letoff but not through.

The main disadvantage of increasing butt springs is the kay
can return too rapidly and actually push the players fingers
up.  Not a desirable effect.  The primary function of the
butt spring is to help the hammer get started moving into
the return direction.

If you have for example a down weight of 45 and an up weight
of 25 you have a balance weight of 35, just marginal, and
friction of 10 grams, sufficient.  I would suggest 36 to 37
grams balance and 8 to 10 grams friction.

Move a key slightly sideways and move it up and down.  If
you detect _any_ drag at all you have microscopic corrosion
on the front pins and likely the balance pins as well.
These pin should be polished with something like Flitz
(Pianotek) and lubricated with Protek or teflon spray.
Lubricate the felts as well.

It takes but a minuscule amount of friction in these areas
to cause a slow return of the key and it is measurable.  Do
this before changing the weights.
--
		Newton Hunt
		Highland Park, NJ