Hammers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:46:21 -0500

>"or you could ask someone in Florida. They should have
> the same problems in July / September."

Well, 99% of the homes in Florida have central air conditioning, providing
one of the most piano-friendly environments around. BUT, there are a few
folks down here (or up here depending on your perspective) that do not have
AC. I service a turn-of-the-century Baldwin R that the woman has had all her
life (she is about 75 years old), it resides in her home which her
grandfather built in 1886 - except for plumbing and electricity - which
remains completely original with palm fronds covering the walls and original
wood floors and ceiling. I service this lady's piano all winter until about
April - I'll do my last tuning and tell her I'll see her in November (she is
an accomplished pianist and I do a lot of fine (or as fine as I can) work
for her). Her piano has the original soundboard - excellent crown, no
cracks, and the piano screams (pleasantly mind you - Abel
hammers...Hmmmmmmm). Pitch doesn't seem to vary more than about 10 cents at
environmental extremes (she has called me for service in the middle of the
summer - whoa, is it ever hot - tuning case in one hand, high-powered fan in
the other). But I do suspect this one case is a bit unusual.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com