Decibel Levels

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:40:50 -0500

>I'm stopping by for a few days with this question.
>
>Just how loud can a piano become? I have a book which says an
>airplane taking off will reach 140 decibels, a rock concert 120 and
>a snowmobile 110.

I don't have specs handy, but certainly enough to cause tinnitis! A
few years back we had an audiologist give our chapter a talk. The
audiologist gave a local tech a measuring device to carry along with
him through his day of tuning. The audiologist concluded that a day's
tuning can certainly be within the "harmful" range. He recommended
ear plugs/muffs/filters & thought it foolish if we didn't use ETDs
for most of the grunt work.

Patrick Draine