Prepping new pianos

Rob Kiddell atonal@telusplanet.net
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:13:38 -0700

Hey Kristinn,

Thanks for your thanks on the Ecsaine info, I'm in the process of re-
vamping my horribly out-of-date website.

However, I use teflon powder, not spray teflon on hammer
knuckles... of many different makers, and no squeaks. You can
order teflon powder from Bill Spurlock Specialty Tools
(www.spurlock.com) or buy it through a friendly DuPont
representative, if you have one in Iceland. With spray teflon (TFL-50
here in Canada) I do get squeaks, and have stopped using it for
that purpose. It seems to work better on wood/felt and metal/felt
applications, such as balance rail pins and damper wires/rail
guides. I have had poor luck with ProTek on tight action centres, it
frees them for a short time, and then they resume their sticking
ways, and have not used it as much as some people have... but I
can always be persuaded.

However, I will try some on the next Wurtilizer (Fertilizer?!?) I
prep... on those pesky damper rails.

I've never tried Pro-Tek on knuckles, so I can't give any advice re:
following up after teflon.

takk kærlega,
Gott og farsælt komandi ár

(gotta love online dictionaries...)