Return Springs on a Baldwin 243

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:31:04 -0800

Bill Ballard wrote:

> List,
>
> I have a piano teacher with a legitimate complaint about repetition on a
> 20 year-old Baldwin Studio Upright 243. The jack won't make it back
> under the butt until the key returns, and sometimes not even them. The
> butt and catcher leathers are also a synthetic which i would describe as
> 220 grit.
>
> My test for repetition is to use a finger of the LH as an up-stop, and
> to find at what point lowering that stop will prevent to jack's return
>
> The problem clears up when I lift the hammer rail for ~1mm lost motion
> at the keyboard, but I'm uncomfortable leaving in a lost motion of this
> size.
>
> I did remove the spring rail and bend all springs to that the butt had a
> minimum of return from the string (a bend going from 3pm to 5pm, as
> viewed from the bass). The repetition didn't appear to have gained, and
> now, the action is too slow in very quiet playing. So regardless of what
> positive effect weakening the hammer springs in relation to the jack
> spring might have, I'll have to backtrack from this to get a more
> positive return in quiet playing.
>
> I also changed one hammer butt for a brand new  Baldwin butt with
> beautiful smooth buckskin, but once again it wasn't clear the the
> dramatic step down in friction with real butt leather helped out the
> jack's return. Starting over with a complete set of new butts is an option
>
> Any ideas on improving repetition in this piano?
>

> Bill Ballard, RPT
> NH Chapter PTG
>
> "Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
>     Thanks so much, Ginger"
>     ...........Service Request

Bill,
Just curious; do the whipens seem to be free? I ran across a dinosaur
243 that clearly had the hammers returning before the whipens could
drop. I wanted to repin the whipen flanges, but the dollars weren't
there. Protek helped a lot. Also, it seemed that the introduction of a
little back weight might have been in order.

Joseph Alkana